Lwood-20161113

Introduction

Welcome to Last week on OpenStack Dev (“Lwood”) for the week just past. For more background on Lwood, please refer here.

Basic Stats for the week 7 to 13 November for openstack-dev:

  • ~381 Messages (down about 10% relative to last week)
  • ~161 Unique threads (down about a percent relative to last week)

A pretty quiet week on list – traffic down a bit overall, I’ve a sneaking suspicion folk are still somewhat in the post-Barcelona recovery stage :)

Notable Discussions – openstack-dev

OpenStack Summit Barcelona summary of summaries

This week saw a few more summaries from the summit in addition to those reported last week.

My apologies to anyone missed – please feel free to email corrections!  As per the Austin summit, these will get collated into an overall Barcelona page later this week or early next.  Stay tuned :)

Registrations open for OpenStack Project Teams Gathering (PTG) event

Thierry Carrez flagged the fact that Registrations are now open for the inaugural PTG even in Atlanta, GA during the week of February 20.

OpenStack Conference in Canberra, Australia

…was a great success and lovely to see some familiar faces from around the community in my hometown :)  Had two people come up and say thanks for Lwood too which was nice :)

Notable Discussions – other OpenStack lists

Over on OpenStack Operators, Melvin Hillsman posted a Barcelona Retrospective and Saverio Proto pointed out there is a poll to decide the location for the Ops Midcycle on March 15 & 16 next year – either Milano or Tokyo, actually kinda tough call that one I’d reckon :)

People and Projects

Core nominations & changes

Miscellanea

Further reading

Don’t forget these excellent sources of OpenStack news – most recent ones linked in each case

Credits

Back home today but no tunes, normal service will likely be resumed last week, not least of which because my copy of Glenn Hughes’ new album should have arrived by then ;)

Last but by no means least, thanks, as always, to Rackspace :)

Comments

Lwood-20161106

Introduction

Welcome to Last week on OpenStack Dev (“Lwood”) for the week just past. For more background on Lwood, please refer here.

Basic Stats for the week 31 October to 6 November for openstack-dev:

  • ~424 Messages (up about 182% relative to last week)
  • ~163 Unique threads (up about 139% relative to last week)

No surprises that traffic both in message and thread count bounced back this week after a Summit induced lull last week.  Even with this dramatic rebound, the overall message count still only at about 75% of the long term average.

Notable Discussions – openstack-dev

OpenStack Summit Barcelona summary of summaries

Following the well received item put together after the Austin summit, here is a summary of the various posts to the list this week past that err, summarised what happened in Barcelona.  The majority of them are project specific, a couple are personal recollections that span the event as a whole.

My apologies to anyone missed – please feel free to email corrections!  As per the Austin summit, these will get collated into an overall Barcelona page in the next week or so.  Stay tuned :)

Minor tweak to Ocata Release Date

Doug Hellman writes that the release date for Ocata will now be Wednesday February 22 instead of Thursday February 23, this to give the Release team more time during the final week to prepare packages after the final tags are applied.

Changes to Release Announcements

Thierry Carrez advised that there are plans afoot to create a new mailing list (likely called release-announce) to which all automated/bot generated release information would go.  This intended in part to reduce the “noise” that occurs when project that comprise many components do a new spin.

The reply-to field will point to openstack-dev so that normal discourse can occur there and the list will, by default, be in digest mode – again to minimise inbox noise.  More details in Thierry’s post and the ensuing thread.

Cross Project Discussion about Proprietary Driver Code

Sean McGinnis gave a rundown on a cross-project session that was held last week about the use of proprietary code, libraries, binaries etc. in OpenStack drivers.  As he alludes to, some of the challenges faced include where to draw the line with the drivers and what is an appropriate policy to have in place for this overall – to determine what is ok and what isn’t.

A short but important thread, worthy of your time if you’re working with hardware that makes use of code that falls into these categories.

New OpenStack Project – Valence

Malini Bhandaru wrote to announce Valence – a project that provides support for integrating Rack Scale Devices into OpenStack.

OpenStack Conference in Canberra, Australia

Courtesy of Michael Still – a heads up about an upcoming OpenStack Foundation event in Canberra.

I will concede that I am being unashamedly parochial in singling out an OpenStack conference in my home town – but hey, if you’re around, check it out and please find me and come say hi! :)

Notable Discussions – other OpenStack lists

Another quiet week on the other lists, at least from an Lwood perspective.

People and Projects

Core nominations & changes

Miscellanea

Further reading

Don’t forget these excellent sources of OpenStack news – most recent ones linked in each case

Credits

This weeks edition of Lwood once again brought to you by the birdsongs and other background sounds of Brunswick, Melbourne.

Last but by no means least, thanks, as always, to Rackspace :)

Comments

Lwood-20161030

Introduction

Welcome to Last week on OpenStack Dev (“Lwood”) for the week just past. For more background on Lwood, please refer here.

Basic Stats for the week 24 to 30 October for openstack-dev:

  • ~150 Messages (down about 67% relative to last week)
  • ~68 Unique threads (also down about 67% relative to last week)

As far as Lwood record keeping goes at least, the last time the list was this quiet was the week ending January 3 this year (143 messages/66 threads).  Perhaps further proof that Barcelona is a particularly convivial and productive spot – traffic in the previous three summit weeks has been in the ~300 messages range!

Notable Discussions – openstack-dev

New OpenStack Security Notice

Glance Image service v1 and v2 api image-create vulnerability [OSSN-0076]

From the summary “No limits are enforced within the Glance image service for both v1 and v2 `/images` API POST method for authenticated users, resulting in possible denial of service attacks through database table saturation.” More in the original post or SSN itself.

Design Summit Notes and Miscellanea

With the Barcelona Summit concluding last week some notes from the Glance project courtesy of Brian Rosmaita and a photo of some of the OpenStack Ansible team from the camera of Monty Taylor and the keyboard of Major Hayden.

I imagine the coming weeks will see a bit of a flurry of such reports, will keep you posted.  If you can’t wait there are of course videos of most sessions from the Summit on the OpenStack Foundation website.

Storyboard enhancement to represent complex priorities

On behalf of the Storyboard project, Zara Zaimeche announced some neat new functionality that provides more fine grained representation of task priority.  Briefly whereas previously each task could be assigned a single priority (“High”, “Medium” or “Low”) , the new functionality allows users/projects to specify a level of priority as it applies to them.  It is then possible to see at a glance where other users/projects have set their priority for the task in question.

Notable Discussions – other OpenStack lists

Another quiet week on the other lists, at least from an Lwood perspective, one I will flag though is that there’s been some proposals put forward for the location for the Ops Meetup in early 2017.  Chris Morgan elaborates here – Tokyo and Milano are the two so far.

People and Projects

Core nominations & changes

Miscellanea

Further reading

Don’t forget these excellent sources of OpenStack news – most recent ones linked in each case

Credits

This weeks edition of Lwood brought to you by the birdsongs and other background sounds of Brunswick, Melbourne.

Last but by no means least, thanks, as always, to Rackspace :)

Comments

Lwood-20161023

Introduction

Welcome to Last week on OpenStack Dev (“Lwood”) for the week just past. For more background on Lwood, please refer here.

Basic Stats for the week 17 to 23 October for openstack-dev:

  • ~463 Messages (down about 8% relative to last week)
  • ~206 Unique threads (up about 26% relative to last week)

A quieter week this week overall – higher thread count largely due to lots of single posts or short threads – many of them summit logistics related as well as a fair few relating to the new project logos (which look pretty slick!)

Notable Discussions – openstack-dev

Admin Guides in tree too ?

Lana Brindley looped the list into a conversation that started on openstack-docs where Jay Faulkner noted that the Ironic team were fans of the new install-guide model.  Jay asked in part if this in-tree model could also be applied to the admin guide.  A bit of mini chorus of “oh yes us too” ensued.  Lana would welcome feedback/participation from other projects on this thread.

What Do Customers Want – answered!

Piet Kruithof drew attention to the availability of results from six studies that have been compiled by the OpenStack UX project in collaboration with Intel and the broader community.  Well worth a read.

Announcing Meteos – a Machine Learning project

Hiroyuki Eguchi announced Meteos, a project that provides Machine Learning as a Service in Apach Spark.

From Hiroyuki-san’s email: “Meteos allows users to analyze huge amount of data and predict a value by data mining and machine learning algorithms. Meteos create a workspace of Machine Learning via OpenStack Sahara’s spark plugin and manage some resources and jobs regarding Machine Learning.”

OpenStack User Survey results announced

Heidi Joy Tretheway noted that the results of the OpenStack Foundation’s eight User Survey are now available. More details in Heidi Joy’s email or on the foundation website here.

Project Mascots Revealed!

Also from Heidi Joy Tretheway was the announcement that the new project logos are ready for feedback – there’s even a sneak peek of many of them up.

End of week reports

Just the one this week that I noted – for Ironic courtesy of Ruby Loo.

Notable Discussions – other OpenStack lists

Another quiet week on the other lists, at least from an Lwood perspective – but as noted last week, if you’re an Operator and attending the Barcelona Summit, please consider helping Piet Kruithof and team out by participating in the usability studies they have planned.

People and Projects

Core nominations & changes

Miscellanea

Further reading

Don’t forget these excellent sources of OpenStack news – most recent ones linked in each case

Credits

This weeks edition of Lwood brought to you by Bruce Hornsby (Harbor Lights), The String Contingent (Facets) and Deep Purple (The House of Blue Light)

Last but by no means least, thanks, as always, to Rackspace :)

Comments

Lwood-20161016

Introduction

Welcome to Last week on OpenStack Dev (“Lwood”) for the week just past. For more background on Lwood, please refer here.

Basic Stats for the week 10 to 16 October for openstack-dev:

  • ~502 Messages (up about 28% relative to last week)
  • ~163 Unique threads (up about 22% relative to last week)

After a couple of quieter weeks, list traffic back up again though still about 12% down on the long term average.  A fair amount of the traffic was related to Barcelona planning for the various projects and so not really relevant to Lwood.

Notable Discussions – openstack-dev

TC Election process discussions continue

The thread mentioned last week, kicked off by this email from Ed Leafe, continued into this week with some interesting further discussions about possible changes to the process.  Anita Kuno’s post is about where things picked up.

It looks to me like there is something of a consensus building around the idea of having a bit more time between the candidacy part of the process and the election.  A couple of folk expressed concern about this lengthening the period of time that election officials have to be doing things, but Tony Breeds at least didn’t seem to think it it was an issue.

Another seemingly popular suggestion was to have the voting system send out the ballot emails more than once to help remind people to do their bit.

Timeframes for next PTL/TC Elections

Thierry Carrez wrote an update on planned timeframes for upcoming elections that have arisen from a recent TC meeting.  He writes in part “The TL;DR: is that PTL elections would continue to be organized around development cycle boundaries, while TC elections would continue to be organized relative to OpenStack Summit dates.”  More info in his email or over in the Gerrit review.

PTG Planning tips

John Dickinson shared some lessons learned from Swift midcycle events for the benefit of teams planning for the new PTG approach to planning development activities.  It’s a short read but worthy of your time and indeed something in there for -anyone- attending collaborative planning events I reckon :)

End of week reports

Two this week one for Ironic (Ruby Loo) the other for Horizon (Richard Jones)

Notable Discussions – other OpenStack lists

Another quiet week on the other lists, at least from an Lwood perspective – but if you’re an Operator and attending the Barcelona Summit, please consider helping Piet Kruithof and team out by participating in the usability studies they have planned.

People and Projects

Core nominations & changes

Miscellanea

Further reading

Don’t forget these excellent sources of OpenStack news – most recent ones linked in each case

Credits

This weeks edition of Lwood brought to you by Zakk Wylde (playing Black Sabbath’s “N.I.B.” on a Hello Kitty guitar),  PAINTonPAINT (Tracks from Night Rises) and Bruce Hornsby (A Night on the Town, Harbor Lights, Scenes From The Southside)

Last but by no means least, thanks, as always, to Rackspace :)

 

Comments

Lwood-20161009

Introduction

Welcome to Last week on OpenStack Dev (“Lwood”) for the week just past. For more background on Lwood, please refer here.

Basic Stats for the week 3 to 9 October for openstack-dev:

  • ~392 Messages (down about 7% relative to last week)
  • ~134 Unique threads (down about 31% relative to last week)

Message count down a little, thread count down quite a lot – mostly a side effect I think of a couple of longer (25+ message) threads during the week.

Notable Discussions – openstack-dev

TC Election Results

On behalf of the electoral team, Tony Breeds announced the TC Elections results late in the week – our new TC members are Sean Dague, Doug Hellmann, Emilien Macchi, Steve Martinelli, Jeremy Stanley and Monty Taylor.

Call for Mentors at Barcelona Events

Emily Kate Hugenbruch notes there are a couple of great volunteer mentoring opportunities at the Barcelona Summit.  First one is assisting with the Upstream University program, the second being involved in the Speed Mentoring Breakfast that Intel are sponsoring on Tuesday morning.  Full details in Emily Kate’s post.

TC Election process discussions

An interesting thread cropped up early in the week about the TC election process, kicked off by this email from Ed Leafe.  Ed proposes some tweaks to timing so that the Candidate statements be available for a bit longer so that folk have more time to read and digest them before voting starts.  He additionally suggests considering making the statements anonymous so that there is less bias on the basis of the extent to which a candidate is known or popular.
As parts of the the subsequent discussion point out, this latter has the difficulty that sometimes people do, naturally, rely on those personal connections and associations to make voting decisions.  An interesting thread and worth a read if you’re interested in the governance side of OpenStack.

Deprecating the Ceilometer API

Julien Danjou suggested deprecating the Ceilometer API as much of the functionality it provides has now devolved into other projects under the Telemetry banner, Aodh and Panko among them.

A brief thread but if metrics or alarms/autoscale are up your alley worth a read – my take is the Telemetry project over all still wants to do all these things but the approach is changing somewhat.

Architecture Working Group propose APAC friendly meeting time

Clint Byrum notes that the Architecture Working Group are proposing an alternating odd/even schedule for meetings such that every second session will be an APAC friendly time (proposed as 0100 UTC Thursdays).  Woohoo, no more 6am meetings ;)

End of Cycle Retrospectives / Postmortems

With Newton all but done, projects are doing retrospectives, this week Sridhar Ramaswamy posted one for Tacker.

Notable Discussions – other OpenStack lists

Nothing that leapt out from the other lists this week, other than the small matter of the OpenStack Newton release officially being announced in this post from Doug Hellman!  Congratulations to all involved, a great accomplishment.

People and Projects

Core nominations & changes

Miscellanea

Further reading

Don’t forget these excellent sources of OpenStack news – most recent ones linked in each case

Credits

No tunes this week as your humble correspondent was, alas, somewhat distracted by other matters and not in a tune kinda a mood :/  On a brighter note – looking forward to giving this a spin later in the week.

Last but by no means least, thanks, as always, to Rackspace :)

Comments

Lwood-20161002

Introduction

Welcome to Last week on OpenStack Dev (“Lwood”) for the week just past. For more background on Lwood, please refer here.

Basic Stats for week 26 September to 2 October for openstack-dev:

  • ~422 Messages (down about 23% relative to last week)
  • ~193 Unique threads (up about 13% relative to last week)

Quite a bit of pre-summit logistics and TC election related traffic this week, a fairly quiet week for Lwood though.

Notable Discussions – openstack-dev

Blog post on Secure Development in Python

Travis McPeak flagged a post he put up on the OpenStack Security Project (OSSP) blog which discusses resources and tools to help developers write secure Python code.  While written with OpenStack developers in mind it has some good material in there for people doing Python development in just about any setting.

Call for Mentors and Mentees

From Kendall Nelson a piece on the mentoring program sponsored by the Women of OpenStack.  An invitation for folk to get involved in either capacity – worth considering :)

Community Contributor Awards nominations close soon

Tom Fifield wrote a quick reminder that nominations close soon for the Community Contributor Awards that Kendall Nelson announced last week.  A great way to recognise people, projects and other endeavours that further OpenStack.

TC Elections Underway

The selection of six new OpenStack Technical Committee (TC) members is underway – these new members will have a one year term.  I’ve noted the candidates below in the People and Projects section, if you’re eligible to vote you should have received an automated email to vote by now.

One thing that became clear to me in reading the various candidacy statements is that to a person we have a very capable bunch putting their names forward, we’re spoilt for choice even. My vote for the most amusing candidacy statement would have to go to this nomination from Clint Byrum though – his post quite possibly one of the funniest things I’ve read on openstack-dev :)

End of Cycle Retrospectives / Postmortems

With Newton all but done, projects are starting to do retrospectives, this week one from Jim Rollenhagen for Ironic.

Notable Discussions – other OpenStack lists

Nothing that leapt out from the other lists this week.

People and Projects

TC Nominations

Twenty one people put their names forward for the TC Elections which as noted above are now underway: Clark Boylan, Clint Byrum, Sean Dague, Steven Dake, John Davidge, Chris Dent, John Dickinson, John Griffith, Joshua Harlow, Doug Hellman, Anita Kuno, Amrith Kumar, Ed Leafe, Emilien Macchi, Steve Martinelli, Dolph Mathews, Sean McGinnis, Jim Rollenhagen, Ben Schwarzlander, Jeremy Stanley and Monty Taylor.

Core nominations & changes

  • [Puppet] Proposing David Moreau Simard part of Puppet OpenStack CI core team – Emilien Macchi
  • [Solum] Nominating Zhu Rong for core – Devdatta Kulkarni

Further Reading & Miscellanea

Don’t forget these excellent sources of OpenStack news – most recent ones linked in each case

This weeks edition of Lwood brought to you by Trevor Rabin (Can’t Look Away), The Dave Brubeck Quartet (The Essential), Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble (Soul to Soul), Toto (Toto IV) and Yes (90125)

Last but by no means least, thanks, as always, to Rackspace :)

 

Comments

Lwood-20160925

Introduction

Welcome to Last week on OpenStack Dev (“Lwood”) for the week just past. For more background on Lwood, please refer here.

Basic Stats for week 19 to 25 September for openstack-dev:

  • ~547 Messages (up bit over 9.5% relative to last week)
  • ~170 Unique threads (down about 21% relative to last week)

Yet another pretty typical week on the list :)

Notable Discussions – openstack-dev

Architecture Working Group Process

Dean Troyer gives a concise update on where things are up to with the Architecture WG – this important initiative looks to be making good progress

Removing OpenStackSalt and Security project teams from the Big Tent ?

Thierry Carrez started what proved to be a longish thread this week with an email noting that as there were no PTL candidates within the election deadline for a number of official project teams – Astara, UX, OpenStackSalt and Security.

Turns out that the Astara project team wish to abandon the project anyway and the current PTL (Piet) quickly reacted to explain his error and confirm his willingness to continue in the role.

The thread then dealt a bit more specifically with OpenStackSalt – a newer project that seeming had some misunderstandings about the process and Security which has of course been around much longer.

The conclusion by the end of the thread looks to be that both Security and OpenStackSalt will stay within the tent after some satisfactory email and IRC discussions.  Rob Clark’s blog post regarding the situation for the Security project is worth a read too.

Community Contributor Awards nominations open

Kendall Nelson notes that nominations are open for the Community Contributor Awards and will remain so until October 7.

As Kendall puts it: “There are so many people out there who do invaluable work that should be recognized. People that hold the community together, people that make working on OpenStack fun, people that do a lot but aren’t called out for their work, people that speak their mind and aren’t afraid to challenge the norm.”  He continues “Like last time, we won’t have a defined set of awards so we take extra note of what you say about the nominee in your submission to pick the winners.”

Please give some thought to nominating your favour person or their endeavour for the awards, it’s an easy process and a nice way to give recognition to fellow community members.

PTL Election Concludes, TC Positions Open

Tony Breeds noted that the PTL Election has concluded and the results are detailed in his email.

Next up, as pointed out by Tristan Cacqueray in his email are TC elections with Candidate nominations open now through to 1 October 23:45 UTC.

How do -you- handle the openstack-dev Mailing List

Is the question posed by Josh Harlow in his email to the list from late last week – he’s heard it a few times over the years (I dare say many people have) – and is keen for people to share their own work practices.

If you’re reading this -and- contribute to/read the ML please chuck your thoughts in the etherpad :)

Operators Meetup Feedback

So far just the one from Sean Dague as the ops-summit related to Nova, but worth a read and hopefully will inspire more to come :)

More Beautiful Music in Barcelona

Last week’s Lwood made mention of Amrith Kumar’s post seeking instrument wielding musicians – this in turn prompted Neil Jerram to note that there’s a singing group together too :)

Notable Discussions – other OpenStack lists

Nothing that leapt out from the other lists this week.

People and Projects

Core nominations & changes

  • [Searchlight] Matt Borland Core Nomination – Travis Tripp
  • [QA] resigning from Tempest core – Marc Koderer
  • [QA] tempest-cores update – Ken Ohmichi

Further Reading & Miscellanea

Don’t forget these excellent sources of OpenStack news – most recent ones linked in each case

This weeks edition of Lwood brought to you by Pink Floyd (A Momentary Lapse of Reason), Bruce Hornsby (Hot House, Levitate) and Bruce Springsteen (High Hopes)

Last but by no means least, thanks, as always, to Rackspace :)

Comments

Lwood-20160918

Introduction

Welcome to Last week on OpenStack Dev (“Lwood”) for the week just past. For more background on Lwood, please refer here.

Basic Stats for week 12 to 18 September for openstack-dev:

  • ~499 Messages (down about 10% relative to last week)
  • ~216 Unique threads (up about 35% relative to last week)

Another pretty typical week on the list message count down a bit from last week but the thread count up as there weren’t any particularly long threads to jiggle the metrics (a single message is counted as a thread).

Notable Discussions – openstack-dev

New OpenStack Security Notices

MongoDB guest instance allows any user to connect [OSSN-0066]

From the summary “When creating a new MongoDB single instance or cluster the default setting in MongoDB `security.authorization` was set as disabled. This resulted in no need to provide user credentials to connect to the mongo instance and perform read / write operations from any network that is attached on instance create.”  The original email or the SSN itself has more information.

Deleted Glance image IDs may be reassigned [OSSN-0075]

From the summary (paraphrase and so errors mine) “It is possible for image IDs from deleted images to be reassigned to other images.  This creates the possibility that by creating a nefarious image that shares the ID with a previously deleted but trusted image, the nefarious image can be booted without the user realising it was quietly changed.”  The original post and/or the SSN has more information.

Writing down OpenStack Principles – thread continues and a great quote

The thread that started last week with this a post from Chris Dent trundled along a bit more this week with a few more messages.  Most of the substantive commentary seems to have moved to the review that Thierry Carrez created, the last message in the thread being that Thierry has now posted a revised version which seeks to incorporate the various bits of feedback.

A brief side discussion on the thread popped up between Clay Gerrard and Thierry where they both acknowledged somewhat different views but also an appreciation for the others willingness to embrace new information and change their outlook as appropriate.  Collaborative Open Source development at its best there I reckon.

I’ll close this item with a quote from Thierry’s email which is, I think, one of the most eloquent summaries of the relationship between governance and code in an Open Source project I’ve read.

“It is important for open source projects to have a strong governance model, but it is only the frame that holds the canvas and defines the space. The important part is the painting.”

Nicely put :)

 

Stewardship Working Group (SWG) meeting report

The SWG was mentioned in Lwood-20160717 – as Amrith Kumar noted in the post in question, the group was set up by the Technical Commitee (TC) with the intent that this small group would “review the leadership, communication, and decision making processes of the TC and OpenStack projects as a whole, and propose a set of improvements to the TC.”

During the week past Colette Alexander posted with an update on recent activities.  Of note is that there is work under way to refine the vision for what the SWG will accomplish in Barcelona and feedback is sought from the community.

Election Season Continues

This week marked the end of the PTL nomination period as Tristan Cacqueray notes here – there were four projects (Astara, OpenStack Salt, OpenStack UX and Security) that were without candidates and so the TC will appoint the PTL.  Six projects had more than one PTL nominate and so will have an election: Freezer, Ironic, Keystone, Kolla, Magnum and Quality Assurance. There’s a full list of candidates below or on the official site here.

At the time of writing the election itself has just kicked off and will run until 23:45 September 25, 2016 (UTC)  If you’re eligible, please vote! :)

End of Cycle Retrospectives / Postmortems

As Newton draws to an end, projects are starting to do retrospectives.  Three I spotted were for Keystone (Steve Martinelli) Neutron (Armando Migliaccio) and Nova (Matt Riedemann) with more likely over the next few weeks.  These are all works in progress so if you’ve something constructive to contribute please do!

Beautiful Music in Barcelona

While the gathering proposed may not quite reach the vocal, choral and orchestral grandeur of this if you’re a musician and will be at the Barcelona Summit, please read Amrith Kumar’s post here.

Amrith asks “would y’all musicians who plan to bring your gear to Barcelona please start a little thread here on the ML and let’s get a band going?”.  While I won’t alas be in Barcelona I’ve had the good fortune to be involved in these sorts of FOSS meets music gatherings in the past back in the Canonical days – it’s a ton of fun and I commend it to you :)

Notable Discussions – other OpenStack lists

Nothing that leapt out from the other lists this week.

Upcoming OpenStack Events

Best I can tell no OpenStack related events mentioned this week.  Don’t forget the OpenStack Foundation’s Events Page for a list of general events that is frequently updated.

People and Projects

PTL’s stepping down

PTL Candidates

Core nominations & changes

Further Reading & Miscellanea

Don’t forget these excellent sources of OpenStack news – most recent ones linked in each case

This weeks edition of Lwood brought to you by the background noise of Brunswick, Victoria.  Not as tuneful as Weather Report last week, but a pleasant hum and bustle none the less :)  Oh and a quick reprise of Barcelona featuring Freddie Mercury and Montserrat Caballé.

Last but by no means least, thanks, as always, to Rackspace :)

Comments

Lwood-20160911

Introduction

Welcome to Last week on OpenStack Dev (“Lwood”) for the week just past. For more background on Lwood, please refer here.

Basic Stats for week 5 to 11 September for openstack-dev:

  • ~556 Messages (up about 13% relative to last week)
  • ~160 Unique threads (down about 11% relative to last week)

A pretty typical week on the list, two new and quite long threads (~28 and ~60 messages each) contributing significantly to the Messages up/Threads down result.  A nice moment of levity in the middle of the 60 message thread too…

Notable Discussions – openstack-dev

New OpenStack Security Notices

Host machine exposed to tenant networks via IPv6 [OSSN-0069]

From the summary “New interfaces created by Neutron in the default namespace, were done so without disabling IPv6 link-local addresses. This resulted in instances gaining the ability to directly access the host OS, therefore breaking guest isolation.” More in the original post or SSN itself.

Horizon dashboard leaks internal information through cookies [OSSN-0073]

From the summary (slightly paraphrased) “When horizon is configured, its URL contains the IP address of the internal URL of keystone, as the default value for the identity service is “internalURL”.  This has the effect of exposing the internal IP address to the outside world”. The original post or the SSN has more informatio.

The first Project Teams Gathering (PTG)

Thierry Carrez’s email gives a handy summary of the upcoming Project Teams Gathering (PTG) meeting in Atlanta on February 20-24 next year.

The PTG meetings are in essence the “Design Summit” part of the OpenStack Summit separated off into a standalone event.  There will continue to be a link to the Summit attendees through a “Forum” for community wide discussions.

There is more detail on the what’s changed and the rationale on the Foundation website here as well as a FAQ.  It’s worth a bit of a read as this is one of the more fundamental changes to the way OpenStack development is undertaken for some time.

Ocata Schedule Approved

Doug Hellmann notes that the schedule for Ocata has been approved.  There’s more information in a nice table here or in the original review – release week is February 20, 2017.

Writing down OpenStack Principles

One of the longer threads this week and ongoing at the time of writing was one that Chris Dent kicked off.  In his initial post he draws attention to a review that Thierry Carrez created in concert with other TC members to try and translate some of the “assumed knowledge” that the TC has accumulated over the years into a written form.

The thread has been a little contentious in places (about 5 out of 10 on my newly created lwood-fuss-o-meter) but based on my read that is more about the approach taken than any fundamental disagreement about the end result.  You can view the document in its current form here – it’s worth a quick read.

Future election timing and “Release Stewards”

The longest thread of the week, the conversation kicked off by Thierry Carrez in this post flags some side effects of the change in Summit/PTG arrangements and the timing of release cycles.  As currently defined the timing of elections is reference to the Summit – this would have the effect of meaning PTL and TC positions being renewed mid-cycle.  At first blush this seems a bit suboptimal but Thierry makes the point that it might not necessarily be so.

He goes on to make the case for the creation of a new role – a “Release Steward” who would oversee the complete release “from requirements gathering to post-release-bugfix-backport phase”  This would in practice last longer than the release cycle of six months as many aspects of the release precede and follow the cycle proper.

Thierry suggests that the PTL could elect to be Release Steward as well, or (more likely) someone else in the team.  Having someone doing this important work would free the PTL to continue with strategic pieces knowing the minutiae of the release was in good hands.

The thread goes on to tweak and debate the idea, an alternative first suggested by Sean Dague but with some virtual nods from others along the lines of “yes I was wondering about that”, would instead run the PTL elections early and have the “PTL-next” doing the pre-work for the next release while the PTL took care of landing the current release.

At the time of writing the discussion is continuing – it’s a pretty accessible thread if you want to dig in, if not I’ll endeavour to summarise the eventual outcome when the dust settles :)

Oh and the funny little exchange starting here is worth a few clicks to read as it unfolds :)

Election Season Continues

Following on from his post last week, Tristan Cacqueray advised that nominations are now open for OpenStack PTLs.  Nominations remain open until September 18, 23:45 UTC.  The elections begin 15 minutes later at 00:00 September 19, 2016 (UTC) and run until 23:45 September 25, 2016 (UTC)  If you’re curious the candidates will be listed here as they’re approved.

Subteam and Mid-Cycle Reports

None this week.

Notable Discussions – other OpenStack lists

Nothing that leapt out from the other lists this week.

Upcoming OpenStack Events

Best I can tell no OpenStack related events mentioned this week.  Don’t forget the OpenStack Foundation’s Events Page for a list of general events that is frequently updated.

People and Projects

Core nominations & changes

New, Proposed and Changed OpenStack Projects

Joe Huang noted that the Tricircle project has voted to on the name Trio2o for their api-gateway efforts.

Further Reading & Miscellanea

Don’t forget these excellent sources of OpenStack news – most recent ones linked in each case

This weeks edition of Lwood brought to you by Weather Report (Forecast Tomorrow) and Marillion (Holidays in Eden)

Last but by no means least, thanks, as always, to Rackspace :)

Comments

« Previous Page« Previous entries « Previous Page · Next Page » Next entries »Next Page »