I did a little rewiring of my keyboard rig on the weekend, in particular the pedal board I use to keep things organised and quick to set up. In the process of this I loomed three of the foot switches up together which necessitated re-terminating them with new plugs having cut the old ones off.
For future reference then, here is the wiring schema/colour codes for my particular pedals. If Google picks this page up, might save someone else a little hassle :)
Yamaha FC4 Footswitch
The FC4 is a conventional switch, Normally closed, contacts open when the pedal is pressed down
- Tip – N/C Contact – Inner conductor in cable
- Sleeve – N/C Contact – Shield in cable
Yamaha FC5 Footswitch
Electrically the same as the FC5, just a different physical form factor.
- Tip – N/C Contact – White conductor in cable
- Sleeve – N/C Contact – Black conductor in cable
Yamaha FC7 Footpedal
So with the FC7 footpedal, when it’s pressed all the way down, the minimum resistance (100 ohms or so) is between the ring and tip, and maximum resistance (50k ohm approx) between ring and sleeve. When the pedal is all the way up this reverses – the minimum resistance is between the ring and sleeve and maximum resistance between the ring and tip.
- Tip – “Down” end of 50k ohm pot – White conductor in cable
- Ring – Wiper of 50k ohm pot – Red conductor in cable
- Sleeve – “Up” end of 50k ohm pot – Shield of cable